by Pastor Bob Myers
The preaching schedule for our Love Revolution moves into some of the hard relationships that will test whether the power of love is truly revolutionary. This coming week I will tackle how to love those who actually hold ill-will toward us and function as enemies. Next week I will preach on how to love our fellow believers, and then we will dive into how to love our spouses, a task that is sometimes even more difficult than loving our enemies!
It’s all rooted in loving God and seeing the infinite worth that God has implanted in others as His unique image bearers. If we can get that truth as the lens through which we see ourselves and all others, then the foundation for a love revolution is in place!
Last week I shared how my daughter Hannah developed a little response for her kindergarten class at the public school where she teaches in Memphis. It borrows its capital from the Bible’s teaching that every human being is an image bearer endowed with this status that cannot be eradicated. Despite the ways our sin distorts our image bearing, we are still bear the image of the one true God. Here is the responsive chant that Hannah uses to start each day with her students:
I HAVE INFINITE WORTH
YOU HAVE INFINITE WORTH
WE HAVE INFINITE WORTH
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? WE ARE MORE SPECIAL THAN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!
HOW ARE WE GOING TO TREAT PEOPLE? WITH NICE HANDS AND NICE WORDS BECAUSE EVERYONE IS SPECIAL.
THEN THIS CALL AND RESPONSE:
EVEN IF YOU DON’T TAKE A BATH? INFINITE WORTH!
EVEN IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE? INFINITE WORTH!
EVEN IF YOU GO TO JAIL? INFINITE WORTH
*Schedule May Change at any point as the Holy Spirit Leads
- January 27: Loving Your Enemy (Matthew 5) - Bob Myers
- February 3: Loving Other Believers (John 13:34-36 and 1 John 4:7-21) - Bob Myers
- February 10: Loving Your Spouse (Ephesians 5) The mystery of Christ - Rob Chifokoyo
- February 17: Loving Your Spouse (Song of Solomon 8) Lover and Friend - Bob Myers
- February 24: Loving Children (Matthew 19) - Bob Myers
- March 3: Loving Friends (1 Samuel 18:1) - Rob Chifokoyo
- March 10: Loving a Fool (Proverbs) - Bob Myers
- March 17: Theme & text TBA (Men’s retreat will be taking place away at Harvey Cedars, NJ) - Rob Bloss
- March 24: Loving a Normal, Ordinary Sinner / Loving an Evil Person / When you have to cut someone out of your life (2 Thessalonians 3) - Bob Myers
- March 31: Loving the Foreigner (Leviticus 19) - Rob Chifokoyo
- April 7: Loving Others as You Serve (1 Corinthians 13)
- April 14: PALM SUNDAY - Baptisms
- April 21: RESURRECTION SUNDAY